Saturday, June 26, 2010

Thrift Happy

What's inspiring me today?

Thrifting! If only I wasn't sick in bed.. Doing that age old dash bed to bathroom, bathroom to bed. Don't you love it... (Where would the world be without sarcasm?)

So I'm dreaming of uncovering hidden lovelies in the local op-shops as we refer to them here in Australia. So yes thrifting, saving something, turning something old into something 'new' and beautiful. Repurposing things and turning them on their head. I'm currently loving wearing things backwards or inside out. I'm always amazed at how beauty often turns up in the most unexpected places. I'm a crazy romantic, I love everything fantastical.

But here it is ... shame... I am a hoarder. Yes I admit it. My ex would probably class that as something of a break through. Now let me say I'm not one of those unfortunate people that you see on the tv who hoard to the point where they are unable to walk around their own houses or without any form of discernment to what they hoard.

No I just have an unhealthy appetite for books, magazines and clothes. I recently decided to pick up all the clothes that are lying around here and there in my place. Upon doing so I discovered two things, firstly I do not own anywhere near enough coat hangers and secondly that I have FAR too many clothes. Not that I'm about to admit that to my mother. Nor am I likely to never buy another piece of clothing or an accessory again. I am honest enough to admit that I enjoy being a consumer, even if I am an environmentally friendly minded one. I am currently trying not too though, I'm even trying to stay away from my beloved vintage... Oh Etsy and Ebay taunt me at every turn.

I've also made a vow to cull my books. (Calm down fellow book lovers) By asking the question "Am I ever going to read this again, honestly?" If the answer is a resounding No, then it's off to market they go. The swap market that is. The simplifying is not about money, although it wont go astray. It's just about simplifying my life. I feel like we've all become too bigger consumers. We have more stuff than we'll ever possibly need.

A perfect example of this presented itself too me the other day when I visited my parents place, I was looking to borrow a DVD when I stumbled upon a favourite movie of mine, Girl,Interrupted. Still in the plastic wrapping! They've never even watched it and have no idea how long ago they bought it.. Which means it's been on the shelf for well over a year. Crazyness. I'm sure most of us can identify something like this within our own lives, a dress we've bought and never worn, a kitchen gadget we've never used.. Now I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with wanting beautiful things in our lives. But we do really need so much stuff? Maybe we need to revaluate our definition of the words need and beauty....

No comments:

Post a Comment