Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith

Okay onto the books!

The next few book entries will be slightly delayed in terms of the timeline from when I read them to when I post about them as I've been rather prolific with my reading lately and rather lazy with my blogging!

Did I mention I'm currently working my way through Hallie Ephron's 1001 Books for every mood, plus all the books that have been sitting on my book shelves, cupboards, bedside tables, beneath the bed... pretty much everywhere, that have been waiting patiently since I purchased them, received them as gifts etc to be lovingly gazed upon and devoured.

First off! The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith of White Teeth fame. This is one of the ones that has been waiting patiently on my shelves. The Autograph Man is one of those books I love for the smallest of details. But I must admit my first reaction upon finishing reading this book was one of disappointment.

There are so many questions left unanswered. What does the main character Alex-Li Tandem learn? I'm not that sure that he does. Perhaps only how important Esther is too him and even this is possibly too late. (Alex.. I can relate).
The only thing in Alex's life that can be deemed finalised is his quest for a Kitty. Which reaches a point of saturation. The thirst is quelled, denounced. Yet once filled the void, those spaces in between that have been left wanting in Alex's life, remain empty, life is essentially the same even though everything has changed.

But then again isn't that a true representation of life. Very little is ever truly finished in life. Or is it? The act itself maybe finished but do we ever let go of the thoughts, reasons, values that brought us too that point in the first place?
Is The Autograph Man any less of value as a text because of these representations- It is precisely because of these representations that I adore this book, it causes you to ask questions, without being so deeply entrenched in the religious and philosophical questions that you get bogged down, it's still a relatively easy read. But it's the unanswered questions that mirror the every day nature of reality that it poses for which I value this text most.

Oh.. and Alex holding the battery that powers Esther's heart, is there a more beautiful image of the fragility and futility of love?

No comments:

Post a Comment